Home of the Networking Event Guide!

(stay tuned for our re-launch!)

Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Need to recover lost Mac (OS X) data?

While attempting to add a second 200GB hard drive (in a Oxford 911+ FW/USB2.0 case), in order to back up our existing drive full of iMovie, iDVD files, video, and pictures - all of which took 100's of hours to produce - the first drive was corrupted. Ironic! I needed to recover that first hard drive:

What eventually worked very well was Prosoft Engineering's Data Rescue II. It recovered essentially all the files, and with only a few corrupt files. I very much recommend their product, and it's even under $100!

I had actually purchased SubRosaSoft's FileSalvage, based on the demo, but it only recovered 15GB of the actual 160GB of data, and all the files were numerically named (because it could not recover the disk catalog).

Another product I demo'd was BinaryBiz's VirtualLab Mac, but it wasn't able to actually read the FW drive - their support said the next version will support that configuration better. Although, they charge by the the recovered Gigabyte - 160GB would have cost me dearly.

Even more expensive was some physical drive recovery companies which provided quotes of a few $1,000!

No comments:

Post a Comment